Bottoms Director On How 'Mr. G' Was Marshawn Lynch's Chance at Redemption

Bottoms director Emma Seligman reveals how sports legend Marshawn Lynch saw his role as a chance for redemption, portraying the eccentric Mr. G.


Marshawn Lynch was thinking of his past alongside Bottoms' young up-and-comers, portraying "out of pocket" teacher Mr. G to right a historic wrong.


Via GQ, Bottoms director Emma Seligman revealed that Lynch's appeal was just being himself, recalling the time she pitched the film to him. "You’re so unique and hilarious and it would be so f****** cool to have you in this movie and bring an audience that otherwise wouldn’t see it!" she says. "I just think you’d be really funny in it and play off these girls really well!'”


Seligman previously described the difficulties in cutting through to Bottoms' target audience. While Lynch was a challenge to convince, there was personal motivation on his behalf to take up the role. "He still thought I was crazy—or not that he thought I was crazy, he just didn’t understand why I would offer it to him," Seligman continues. "So, it took a few conversations for him to feel comfortable. In our first conversation, he told me that his sister is queer and when they were in high school, he didn’t necessarily handle it super well. He felt like this movie coming into his hands was the universe giving him a chance to right his wrongs. That’s what he said. He walked her down the aisle. He felt like they were all good, you know? But his sister thought it’d be really cool if he did this. We had a couple more conversations about it, and eventually he said yes!"


The 16-year-old Lynch had once "not handled things well," expressing a serious side of the actor known for his comedic improv via a recent press kit. Lynch said, "I told her [Seligman] this was a good opportunity for me because when I was in high school and my sister had come out as being a lesbian or gay, I did not handle it right, you feel me? I did not handle it right as a 16-year-old boy. I didn't handle it in the way that I feel I probably should have. So I told her it was giving me an opportunity to correct my wrongs. To rewrite one of my mistakes."


Marshawn Lynch Was Praised for Bottoms Performance

Lynch received praise for his role in Bottoms, growing into a teacher who genuinely cares for his students on-screen and righting a past wrong more broadly. Starring Ayo Edebiri and Rachel Sennott, Bottoms debuts to strong reviews, citing its humor, irreverence, and chemistry within the cast.


Bottoms continues its worldwide rollout, currently playing in select theaters.

Popular posts from this blog

Sofía Vergara Is the Cocaine Godmother in First Griselda Photos

Every Underworld Movie, Ranked by Rotten Tomatoes

Loki Producer Shares Cryptic Comment on Kang's Future in the Multiverse