The MCU's Mark Ruffalo Channelled His Childhood Rage to Portray The Hulk

Hulk actor Mark Ruffalo opens up about how the anger he felt during his formative years informed his portrayal of the Jade Giant.


Marvel Cinematic Universe veteran Mark Ruffalo drew on the rage he felt during his early years to help him bring the Hulk to life on the big screen.


Ruffalo discussed how his childhood anger informed his portrayal of Bruce Banner's green-skinned alter-ego during an Emerald City Comic-Con 2023 panel, excerpts from which recently resurfaced online. "I think we all probably -- little kids really relate to the Hulk, because… everyone's always telling them, 'Don't! Stop! Stop it! Don't do that! You'll break things! You're out of control!' That was my whole childhood and much of my teens," he said. "That anger, that unexpressed anger, as nice as I might seem, my kids would probably tell you I could be angry. That's always been something that I've related to, especially when I was younger."


"I mean, I'm getting older and mellower," Ruffalo added. "But as a young actor, I told the story before, I had posters in the weirdest places in my apartment, because there were holes in the wall from coffee mugs and fists from being rejected constantly, and just being angry, and having to express that anger. So, I relate to that." Ruffalo first portrayed the Hulk in 2012's The Avengers, taking over the role from The Incredible Hulk star Edward Norton. He described this transition as "awkward" during the ECCC panel, although he also confirmed that there was no bad blood between him and Norton over the recasting.


Mark Ruffalo Wants to Make a World War Hulk Movie


Following The Avengers' release, Ruffalo went on to reprise the Hulk part in Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. He's also starred in two of the MCU's small screen projects, What If...? and She-Hulk: Attorney at Law. The star acknowledged the length of his MCU tenure in an August 2022 interview, joking that he's "always surprised that I'm still here." Ruffalo went on to say that while he's not sure when Marvel Studios will replace him as the Hulk, he's happy to continue appearing in MCU productions for as long as fans want him to.


He even has ideas for where Hulk's story should go next. Specifically, Ruffalo previously expressed interest in seeing the comics' "World War Hulk" storyline adapted as a movie, insisting Marvel Studios only has to say the word and he'll sign on. "Any time they want to do it, I'm here," Ruffalo said.

Popular posts from this blog

Barbie Crosses Another Major Domestic Box Office Milestone

Sofía Vergara Is the Cocaine Godmother in First Griselda Photos

Loki EP Insists Jonathan Majors' Victor Timely Still Plays a 'Big Part' in Season 2