Elizabeth Olsen Wants to Move On From Scarlet Witch

Marvel Cinematic Universe star Elizabeth Olsen insists she wants to be known for playing characters other than Scarlet Witch.


Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness star Elizabeth Olsen doesn't want to be known as just Scarlet Witch in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, claiming there's "no longevity" in playing one role consistently.


Speaking with The Times of London before the Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) strike, Olsen addressed her future in the MCU. The actor hinted she's ready for new roles after being mainly associated with Marvel projects for the last few years, simply wanting to freshen up her résumé. "I’m trying to figure out…Because, specifically in the last four years, my output has been Marvel,” Olsen said. “I don’t want…it’s not that I don’t want to be associated as just this character. But I really feel like I need to be building other parts back up for balance."


Olsen became a bonafide MCU fixture with her role as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, the rogue former Avenger known for altering reality and harnessing chaos magic wherever she went. After playing the character in WandaVision and the Doctor Strange sequel, Olsen feels it's time for a change as she refuses to be defined by one role. She said, "I so much want to do films right now. And I hope some of them come together in the way I feel like they can. But yeah, that’s something that I need. I just need other characters in my life. There’s no longevity in one character.”


This isn't the first time Olsen has spoken of her desire to branch off from Marvel projects. In June, she told Variety she doesn't miss playing Scarlet and is in no rush to reprise the role, saying "I think it's been almost 10 years of playing her. And I've loved it. And I think the reason why I am not calling [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige every day with ideas is because I'm really proud of what we were able to do. I think WandaVision was a really surprising opportunity. If someone were to tell me that I'm fired from Marvel movies, I will feel proud of what we made." She also advised actors joining the MCU to only sign up for one feature to determine whether Marvel is the right fit and to garner more control over what projects they wish to join.


Elizabeth Olsen Isn't Finished With Scarlet Witch Just Yet


Olsen also revealed "Marvel obligations" and the pandemic prevented her from indulging in different roles from 2017 onward, citing her enjoyment in taking part in movies such as Wind River and Ingrid Goes West given they "were so different and you can't compare them." After first appearing in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Olsen went on to star in the next Captain America sequel, Civil War, as well as the last three Avengers films, Age of Ultron, Infinity War and Endgame.


Despite giving cryptic answers about her MCU future, including the potential of Scarlet returning in Agatha: Coven of Chaos, Olsen will reprise her role in Season 2 of What If...?, which is expected to be released in 2024. Her next feature is the family drama, His Three Daughters, starring alongside Carrie Coon and Natasha Lyonne.


His Three Daughters premieres at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 10.

Popular posts from this blog

Barbie Crosses Another Major Domestic Box Office Milestone

Sofía Vergara Is the Cocaine Godmother in First Griselda Photos

Loki EP Insists Jonathan Majors' Victor Timely Still Plays a 'Big Part' in Season 2