I Am Groot Season 2 Director Kirsten Lepore Reveals James Gunn’s Input In New Episodes

Lepore says she had several discussions with Gunn about the best way to handle Baby Groot's story.


I Am Groot director Kirsten Lepore says James Gunn's DNA was all over Season 2, even though his tenure within the Marvel Cinematic Universe ended with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3


Speaking to ComicBook, Lepore explained that while Gunn did not return as an executive producer for I Am Groot Season 2, he believed the team would do justice to the story. "I think he had a lot of trust and faith in us, especially after Season 1. I took it as an approval where I was like, 'Okay, we got our groove, we're doing our thing, James gives us the thumbs up. I think we're good to go for Season 2,'" Lepore said. "His fingerprints and DNA are always in there because he created this character."


Gunn had worked as an executive producer on I Am Groot Season 1. He and Lepore discussed the best approach to managing the main character at the time. "There was a conversation I had with him at the very beginning of Season 1. We got to have a chat about, like, who this character is, just to make sure that we were on the same page," Lepore explained. "I wanted to do justice to that character. He gave me a couple tidbits of wisdom and described Groot as like the bad baby. I always kept that in the back of my head as I was writing for Season 1 and 2. Those magical words of inspiration are always trickling down through Season 2 concepts."


Hopes for a Feature-Length Baby Groot Film


Lepore recently shared her hopes for a feature-length film starring Baby Groot. "It would be very cool to see a feature-length Baby Groot, for sure, and I feel like that's all I can say. I enjoy working with this character in any capacity they will allow me to," the director said. She also touched on how the character appeals to more casual fans, like herself, who may have never picked up a Marvel comic. "It's trippy. It's really wild, I've got to say. I just feel like one small person that doesn't even know that much about comics, coming into this world and really getting absorbed into the MCU with Groot. I've become so much more of a fan through that process as well."


Universe following James Gunn's departure. The young version of the talking tree returns for an additional five digital shorts in I Am Groot Season 2. Per the official synopsis, "the troublemaking twig explores the universe and beyond aboard the Guardians' spaceships, coming face-to-face with new and colorful creatures and environments."


The first season of I Am Groot is streaming on Disney+, with Season 2 set to premiere on Sept. 6.

Popular posts from this blog

Sofía Vergara Is the Cocaine Godmother in First Griselda Photos

In ‘The Disappearance of Shere Hite,’ a canceled sex researcher is reclaimed

Every Underworld Movie, Ranked by Rotten Tomatoes